Job Posting-Swim Instructor
This position supports the work of the Y, a leading nonprofit, charitable organization committed to strengthening community through youth development, healthy living and social responsibility. The Swim Instructor at Stamford Family YMCA maintains a supportive, positive atmosphere that welcomes and respects all individuals and provides direct leadership, instruction and motivation for students in swim classes.
Our mission and core values are brought to life by our culture. In the Y, we strive to live our cause of strengthening communities with purpose and intentionality every day. We are welcoming: we are open to all. We are a place where you can belong and become. We are genuine: we value you and embrace your individuality. We are hopeful: we believe in you and your potential to become a catalyst in the world. We are nurturing: we support you in your journey to develop your full potential. We are determined: above all else, we are on a relentless quest to make our community stronger beginning with you.
1. Instructs swimming lessons in accordance with YMCA guidelines, having prepared lesson plans accordingly, and supports members and program participants in achieving their goals.
2. Develops and maintains positive relationships with volunteers, members or program participants, and colleagues at all levels of the organization; helps participants and families connect with each other and the YMCA; and encourages parent or caregiver involvement.
3. Conveys information on aquatics programs and schedules and as appropriate refers program participants and families to other programs.
4. Maintains records as required (e.g., attendance, progress reports).
5. Follows all YMCA policies, rules, regulations and procedures, including emergency and safety procedures. Completes incident and accident reports as necessary.
6. Organizes and puts away needed class equipment. Reports damaged equipment to Aquatics Director.
7. Trains and supervises class aides as assigned.
8. Attends regular In-Service Trainings to review skills and teaching techniques.
9. Arrives on time to scheduled classes, prepared to teach in proper attire.
• Developing Self & Others
• YMCA Swim Instructor certification, or equivalent.
• CPR for the Professional Rescuer, AED, Basic First Aid
• Must be able to demonstrate swim instructor skills in accordance with YMCA standards.
• Child abuse prevention training within 30 days of hire date.
• At least 16 years of age.
WORK ENVIRONMENT & PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
• The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Ability to instruct and observe participants in proper stroke techniques.
• Ability to lift equipment, and to lift a small to average size child.
$12.00 – $14.00
Charles Halapin Aquatics Director